prato · IT
PresuntoSommario
A 22-year-old man was shot and wounded in the leg inside the accident and emergency department of the hospital in Prato, Tuscany, at about 4.30pm on Sunday 16 August 2026. A prison officer who fired three shots from his service pistol, hitting him with one, is under investigation for attempted homicide. According to the public prosecutor, the man, a Moroccan national and a former inmate of the Dogaia prison in Prato who had been released in June, had been stopped that afternoon while trying to throw a package containing narcotics into the prison. He was chased by prison officers, fell during the pursuit and was injured, and was taken to hospital for treatment under escort. He was handcuffed and on a trolley in the covered ambulance bay next to triage when he became agitated and tried to flee. The prosecutor said two officers were escorting him and that he was trying to escape while handcuffed inside an enclosed space from which he could not get out. The officers tried to reach him and one of them fired three shots, hitting him once. The prosecutor's stated basis for opening the investigation is that the officer fired in a place from which the detainee could no longer have escaped, and said that recovered CCTV footage shows the sequence of events. The shots caused alarm among patients and staff in the department, which was temporarily closed while the scene was made safe and forensic examinations were carried out. Patients already there were looked after. The officer, who had been in service for 18 months, has been questioned. His defence lawyer says his client's conduct is covered by a clear justification and has asked for the application of a recent security decree amending article 335 of the code of criminal procedure, which provides for a preliminary annotation that avoids automatic entry in the register of suspects where an act performed on duty suggests a ground of justification. A government minister publicly rejected the attempted-homicide framing and said the officer had done his job.
Iter giudiziario
- Presunto — 17 agosto 2026 fonte
Fonti
Correzioni
- crime_category corrected from homicide to attempted_homicide: the man survived and the officer who shot him is under investigation for tentato omicidio. incident_date corrected from the reporting date 2026-08-17 to 2026-08-16, the Sunday of the shooting. victim.sex set to M from the sources. slug updated to match.